Cheesy & Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
Save to BigOven
- 30 lbs eggplants
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 10 oz ground beef
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the eggplant into rounds.
- Line a large sheet pan with paper towels and place the eggplant on the sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove the excess water.
- Dry the eggplant with clean paper towels.
- In a small sauté pan, toast the breadcrumbs until crisp and golden.
- Brown the ground beef in a heated pan with oil.
- Add garlic, powder, oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, salt, pepper, and dried basil.
- Brown for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Combine toasted breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on a bowl.
- Prepare an oven-safe glass baking pan.
- Line the round eggplants alternately with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and browned ground beef.
- Top with the parmesan-breadcrumbs mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
- Let it cool for a bit before serving.
© 2021 Winosity 2019
When you’re feeling down, this healthy eggplant parmesan will bring back your high spirits! A combination of umami flavor-bombs fused into one — to create a sumptuous dinner casserole! A delicious casserole that you can serve as a lunch and dinner entree for the entire family.
A recipe loaded with umami flavors that will fill you up. You can add some spices such as clove or mustard powder to add a boost to the dish. You can also substitute beef with ground lamb for a tastier result.
Now, because this is a delicious recipe and because it is so amazing, it requires quite a few steps. But, once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to make this recipe in no time. You are going to love this dish. If you have guests for dinner, you can bet they will ask you for the recipe.
The reason why eggplant is seasoned first with salt is to draw out the moisture and bitterness from the vegetable. Eggplant is 50% water. Once the water is removed, it can soak up any flavor you add to it. Jackfruit, mushrooms, and lentils will be an excellent meat-substitute if you want a meatless recipe with great flavors.
Savor this comforting healthy eggplant parmesan with a bottle of red wine to elevate the flavor combination. Check these wine suggestions!
- Cabernet Franc
Do you want a more personalized wine recommendation? Use Winosity’s wine recommendation engine and wine journal app to find a wine that suits you.