Hearty Homemade Onion Soup
Save to BigOven
1 hour, 10 minutes
- 36 oz onions
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 2 cups finely diced potatoes
- In a large stockpot, add oil, butter, and minced onions.
- Add sugar and let it caramelized for 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with white wine and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add beef stock, bay leaves, rosemary, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and rosemary sprig.
- Add diced carrots and potatoes; continue simmering for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve in a soup bowl together with a slice of French bread.
© 2021 Winosity 2019
Warm-up your soul with this homemade onion soup recipe. A delicious meal starter to whip up for your friends and family on a Sunday night. A delicious soup that you can serve on any day!
There are some things you need to remember when it comes to preparing soup recipes. Onions, meats, and spices are some of the common ingredients in soup and can withstand a long period of cooking. Adding them at the beginning and simmering low and slow will develop more flavor.
Adding a cup of sweet corn kernels will add sweetness to the soup recipe and creates a wonderful balance between the caramelized onions and the soup itself. If you want an intense earthy flavor, you may add chopped shiitake or button mushrooms.
Pair this with a slice of Crusty Classic French Bread.
Vegetable stock is a perfect substitute for beef stock if you want this delicious recipe to be more vegetarian friendly. Savor this onion casserole with a delicious rich white wine that will bring out the natural sweetness of the caramelized onion. Check these wine pairing suggestions:
Do you want a more personalized wine recommendation? Use Winosity’s wine recommendation engine and wine journal app to find a wine that suits you.