Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Save to BigOven
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 55 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (Toppings)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (Toppings)
- 10 pineapple slices (Toppings)
- 20 maraschino cherries (Toppings)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (Cake)
- 1 tsp baking powder (Cake)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (Cake)
- 1/2 tsp salt (Cake)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (Cake)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (Cake)
- 2 large egg whites (Cake)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (Cake)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (Cake)
- 1/3 cup whole milk (Cake)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Prepare the toppings first by pouring 1/4 cup melted butter into an ungreased 9×2 inch pie dish or round cake pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.
- Blot any excess liquid off the fruit with a clean towel.
- Arrange about 6-7 blotted pineapple slices and all the cherries on top of the brown sugar.
- Place pan in the refrigerator for a few minutes as you prepare the cake batter.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- On high speed, beat in the egg whites until combined, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- You may need to whisk it all by hand to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl.
- Remove topping from the refrigerator.
- Pour and spread the cake batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, tenting foil on top of the cake halfway through bake time.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack for just 20 minutes.
- Invert the slightly cooled cake onto a cake stand or serving plate.
| Amount Per Serving: |
| Calories || 449.56 kcal |
| % Daily Value* |
| Total Fat 15.52 g || 23.9% |
| || Saturated Fat 8.85 g || 44.3% |
| || Trans Fat 0.47 g || |
| Cholesterol 35.62 mg || 11.9% |
| Sodium 246.84 mg || 10.3% |
| Total Carbohydrate 77.05 g || 25.7% |
| || Dietary Fiber 3.11 g || 12.4% |
| || Sugars 51.88 g || |
| Protein 3.95 g || |
| Vitamin A 13.53 % || Vitamin C 88.27 % |
| Calcium 11.34 % || Iron 13.39 % |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 Winosity 2019
This pineapple upside down cake recipe is a delectable dessert perfect for an afternoon snack idea that brings back many childhood memories.
You can refrigerate the topping up to 1 day. If refrigerating for longer than 1 hour, cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Just a quick reminder, this is not the best cake to make ahead of time since the pineapples will settle at the bottom of the cake and the presentation won’t be pleasing. And make sure all the ingredients for the cake are at room temperature, otherwise, the result will suffer.
You may also use peach or apples instead of pineapples. A touch of ground cinnamon would be a great addition and adds a perfect holiday vibe to this dish.
A perfect dessert for kids made with a fluffy vanilla cake. Pair this delicious pineapple upside down cake recipe with sweet wines.
- Sweet Muscat
- Late Harvest
Check this Gluten-Free Orange Cupcake Recipe!