The Best Homemade Mac & Cheese
Save to BigOven
- 17 oz elbow macaroni
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cups Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups toasted panko crumbs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease the baking dish and set aside.
- Combine grated cheddar and Gruyere in a large bowl.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and let it cool
- Create a roux by cooking equal parts of butter and all-purpose flour.
- Cook until it forms into a thick yellowish paste.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth.
- Continue whisking until it thickens.
- Add grated nutmeg and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the combined cheese and finely chopped chives; whisk until it thickens.
- Pour the cooled pasta and mix until fully coated.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with 2 cups of grated parmesan.
- Pour the remaining mac & cheese.
- Combine panko crumbs, garlic powder, remaining parmesan cheese, melted butter, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over the top, bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
| Amount Per Serving: |
| Calories || 683.44 kcal |
| % Daily Value* |
| Total Fat 40.62 g || 62.5% |
| || Saturated Fat 23.65 g || 118.3% |
| || Trans Fat 0.58 g || |
| Cholesterol 117.02 mg || 39% |
| Sodium 854.18 mg || 35.6% |
| Total Carbohydrate 45.54 g || 15.2% |
| || Dietary Fiber 1.95 g || 7.8% |
| || Sugars 5.49 g || |
| Protein 33.56 g || |
| Vitamin A 38.37 % || Vitamin C 0.25 % |
| Calcium 88.92 % || Iron 7.22 % |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 Winosity 2019
If you’re looking for a creamy mac & cheese recipe that satisfies and impresses your taste buds, then look no further. This is the most perfect recipe you can find. A combination of spice and creamy cheese sauce with a touch of fresh chives combine to create flavors you’ll want to eat again and again. The secret to this elevated comfort food is the three types of cheese that were used, which creates a balance of flavor.
If you want to spice up this dish even more, you can add a teaspoon chili flakes. Adding a bit of crispy bacon on top of the mac & cheese will create a perfect finish to the dish.
You can pair this recipe with our delicious cucumber cocktail for a superb dining experience.
This homemade mac & cheese can be a perfect dinner recipe. You can pair it with a rich white wine such as the following: